Friday, July 22, 2011

What can I do about a judgment made in Credit Card Company's favor while I was not living in the country?

GE Financial filed 3 times with the Clark County Court, twice on the same debt but in two different months, in 2009 and were awarded the full amount plus court costs even though I wasn't living in the country at the time. I was supposedly served by the attorney's office but all they did was go to my old address and leave paperwork with personal information in it with the residents who were at that time living at that address which I obviously never received since I wasn't even in the country. I'm now back in Indiana and trying to clean up my credit and just found out that there are all these negative marks due to these cases and I can't get them removed. I have never received anything from ANYONE concerning a decision made by the court or asking for payment even though I have updated my address on my credit report and am trying to figure out how to get this taken care of. I called the magistrates office but was told they can't give me legal advice and that all they could tell me is that I would have to file a pleading with the court but they can't tell me how to do that either. Does anyone know what I can do short of getting a lawyer to submit a pleading and see about settling the debt?

No comments:

Post a Comment